On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:09:25 +0000 (UTC), someone wrote:

I know in my case I had to go with 2x12s for a 12 foot span.

16" or 24" on center? And they must assume a pretty severe loading
for a deck (for having a party with wall to wall people), as for usual
residential loading, as little as 2x8 and no more than 2x10 is common
for that span.

In urban areas, there have been famous collapses of upper story decks
(like a 3rd floor porch type things) with fatalities, during parties.