On 8 May 2005 08:37:12 -0700, someone wrote:

Technically, you can do what you suggested. It's not a crime, unless
you somehow deliberately defrauded the bank in the process...

Please don't do your own dental work either.

OF COURSE it is a crime, because he INTENDS to charge up the equity
line, walk away from the house, and leave the country. He would be
INTENTIONALLY incurring a debt that he has NO INTENSION of paying
back.

Could he get away with it? Sure. Should we encourage him? No.

This is one of the few times that I am inclined to say "damned
foreigners".