mac davis

On Tue, 10 May 2005 07:43:31 -0500, Prometheus wrote:

On the advice of a lot of folks here, I got the Oneway Talon last year.. a bit
pricey at about $175, but it's turned out to be a great investment..
I used it with my shopsmith (still do for bigger things) and now on my Jet
mini.. I'm sure that i'll use it on my next lathe and it will still be great...
As with most tools, it only hurts for a little while but beats the hell out of
spending $100 on an "ok" one and upgrading later.. YMMV

Hello all,

I've decided that getting myself a chuck for my midi lathe is getting
to be a good idea, but I don't want to dent my table saw budget too
badly. I was looking around online, and found that Grizzly offers a
couple that will fit the lathe for a lot less than anyone else... Are
the Grizzly chucks worth using for occasional turning, or do I really
need to dig up the extra cash and get something else?

I guess I'm not overly concerned about insanely tight machining
tolerances or minimal runout, but I do want to exercise reasonable
caution when I pick the thing out to limit the chance of chunks of
wood flying off the lathe and whacking me in the head! The lathe has
got a 10" swing capacity and a 17" bed length (IIRC) so I'm not going
to be turning anything larger than that, and most everything is going
to be considerably smaller than that anyhow. I just want to turn
round objects for now, so one-handed tightening is a plus- and
independant jaws are probably more hassle then they're worth for a
novice in any case.

If I decide to upgrade to a bigger lathe sometime down the road, I'll
look into some of the high-end chucks, but I'm wondering if they're
really necessary when I'm not even sure what features I'm looking for
yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'd like to keep the chuck budget under
$70-$100 if humanly possible! It'd sure be irritating to end up with
a $300 tool accessory that I never use, or is that is far more than I
need.

(The lathe takes a 1"x 8 tpi chuck, and 3" or 4" should be more than
adequate for me)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing