Dave

Brad Heuver wrote:
While filling my 5 gal portable air tank I noticed that the
tank has stamped in it "Discard after 2000" or something
like that. I guess I always knew it was there, its just that
for some reason I chose to start thinking about how long one
should really last. It does have the standard overpressure
pop-off valve, which I have manually pulled to release, but
I've never intentionally tried to overpressurize the tank to
check to see if the valve works as intended. The tank has
not seen a lot of usage, and I've never known water to collect
in the bottom of it. I've also never tried to remove the
valve to look at the inside of it either.
So, how long do you keep your spare air tank around? I assume
that rust is the reason that the tanks have a discard date, is
that correct? How likely is the tank to go boom, vs show a
sign of a leak if it was to rust out?
Brad

Brad Heuver

The rust problem is due to pressurizing the tank during humid weather
-- and the resulting water in the tank. I suppose the bottom of the
tank could eventually burst, sending the tank into the air. My tank
weighs about 25lbs. Due to its age I pressurize it only to 100psi. I
wonder how high a potato gun could launch a 25lb object?