Dave August wrote:
Craig,

The best choice for Silver Soldering/Braising is a propane torch.

Stay away
from Oxy/Acet, you can do it with Oxy/Acet but it's MUCH easier with
propane. The propane torchs burn cooler but generates plenty of BTU's

to get
the job done. There are 2 major players in the 'weed burner' market

(slang
for these types of torchs) Sievert and Goss. Sievert is a Swedish

company
with offices world wide, and is the big name in the game. Goss is a
good-ole-'merican company.

http://www.sievert.se/en/

http://www.sievert.se/en/pro86_88.ht...n d%20Brazing

http://www.gossonline.com/
http://www.gossonline.com/soldering-heating_kits.htm

--.- Dave

I have to disagree with you here. I've used air/propane, air/MAPP,
air/acetylene and oxy/acetylene for silver brazing. Anything but
oxy/acetylene takes far too long to heat up the work and creates heavy
scale. Not want's wanted on finished surfaces like with guns(most of
what I do). With O/A, it frequently takes more gas to purge the hoses
than it does to get the job done. Last ramp I did took like about 5
seconds to fuse and join. I talked with a process engineer for one of
the major A/C manufacturers, they use O/A for a lot of their silver
brazing needs, if something cheaper would work, they'd be using it.
They use a lot of furnace and induction brazing, too, but O/A is used
for tubing joints, manifolds and the like. With O/A, you can use any
of the brazing filler alloys, with propane, you're very limited. The
good stuff all melts at a higher temperature than what can be achieved
with air/propane or even air/MAPP. Look at a properties sheet from one
of the major brazing alloy suppliers.

Stan