OldBill

I am to install central heating in my house and need a single socket
for the boiler to be close to it.

Can anyone advise which is the better option -

1) To take a spur from an existing socket on a ring to this additional
socket or

2) To take a spur from a junction box intercepting the ring main. I
understand from this that I need to remove the sheathing on the cable
and strip away some casing to leave about 1/2" of the neutral and live
exposed and connect this without cutting the 2 wires. The only wire
that needs to be cut in 2 is the earth wire and then linked to the
spur.

I think the junction box would be the easier option as I could take a
feed from the cable in the ceiling as the socket is needed half way up
a wall. The socket spur would involve a wire going down from an
existing socket into the cellar, along then up the wall.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

You can do it either way.
My preference is to to take the spur from an existing ring socket.
Then the junction can be always examined in case of problems.
If you do use a junc box it must be kept accessible.