DanG wrote:
You might consider a portable band saw:

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=27&catalogId=40027&langId=-1&productId=281171&mainHeader=Saws%2FCorded&catego ryId=189345&mainCategoryId=362
I made a holder that I can clamp in the vise to hang it on. I've
rigged a way to work the switch and added a very small "table"
held on with a small vise grip. Mighty handy for the small things
of life. I even own a horizontal, but use the daylights out of
this simple piece.

That sounds pretty cool.

I don't think you will succeed in the contour end of this world.
Metal cutting blades of which I am aware start at 1/2" and get
larger (deeper). Curves and contours do not lend themselves to
deep blades. Steel and it's blades are just not the same as wood
stuff.

Well then, how does one cut curves in aluminum and steel plate?
One wold suppose the minimum radius would be a function of the
width of the blade, how tight a curve could be cut with a 1/2" blade?

--

FF