jackK

jackK wrote:
HotRod wrote:

Just to get a better idea. My first project will be some new forward
controls for my motorcycle and some other "turning" work, I'm
wondering if I can use a Mill to "turn" pieces?

How big will the pieces be that are round?

You can turn stock on a mill by two methods: 1) rotory table 2) turning
using the spindle.

1) on the rotory table you can turn larger parts by mounting workpiece
to the table and use end mill to cut the part.

2) if the parts are small enough to be mounted in a collect in the
spindle you can mount a lathe tool in a vise and turn parts round using
the spindle quill feed.

One other method I forgot:

You can use a boring head to turn round item by turning the boring bar
around 180 degrees and cutting around the outside of the workpeice.

I used that method to turn a piston crankrod pin on a model plane engine.