Robert Swinney

Obtain some so called "silver-bearing solder". It is usu. marked as 4 or 6
% silver and 96 or 94% tin. This solder is readily melted with ordinary
propane tarches. Use acid flux (liquid) ordinarily sold as dilute
hydrochloric acid. Joints made with this solder and flux are fairly strong,
with tensile strengths usu. as good as the base metal (that is, copper,
brass, etc). An advantage of silver bearing solder is the comparitivley low
melting temperature. The temp. is low enough, around 1000 to 1300 deg.,
such that it is not apt to cause warping.

Another class of silver solder has much higher silver content, melts at a
higher temperature and rquires a different flux, generally called "white
flux". Various silver solders of this type are available - Harris EasyFlow
45 is one of the most popular. It flows freely (contains some Cadmium) and
has 45% silver, thus it is expensive. Experienced model makers generally
tend to recommend EasyFlow 45.

Do a Google and you will be inundated with information.

Bob Swinney
"Two and a Half" wrote in message
I currently have a propane torch that I use for jointing using lead free
solder but I now need to use a torch that is hot enough to enable silver
solder to flow and seal copper joints with a good degree of flame control.
At the same time it has to be reasonably small enough to store away as I
have no room to store large oxy-acetelene cylinders. I need a UK supplier.

Any info greatly appreciated

Craig