DL

wrote in message
oups.com...
You are missing the detail of construction and attachment. The boards
are not screwed down to the bed, but are put inside a system of steel
battens that run the length of the boards and bolt the edges to the
frame.

Either Ford, Chevy, Dodge, IH or maybe even someone else used plain
square edged boards. One or two of the previous used rabbited boards
to fit inside the steel battens.

Having said that to T&D, could you contact one of the many amatuer
restorers at the car shows in your area. I used to know a guy here
that restored Hudson trucks (that's right... Hudsons... he has 3!) and
he was the picture of imagination to get the info and parts he wanted.
He went to antique/classic car shows to take pictures and measure
stuff.

Robert

Robert,

You are correct, the boards are held down with metal strips that go into
reliefs (rabbets) cut into the boards running the length of the boards so
that the wood stands proud of the metal strips. There are also reliefs at
the front and ends of the boards. Additionally there are holes drilled for
mounting the bed assembly to the frame that need to be in the appropriate
locations (these are the dimensions I am most concerned about).

From a woodworking standpoint, not a complex thing to do if you have the
proper dimensions... As I stated in my original post, I will/have posted
to the old truck enthusiast websites to see if I can get the proper
dimensions.

As I am on a somewhat tight schedule based on the restoration process,
unfortunately I don't think that there are shows locally that would fit my
time schedule but I will check and it is a great idea.

I will also check to see if there are any local groups/clubs I might contact
as well.

Thanks for the reply.

David