toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not sure I got across what I meant. Say you have a 1" thick table,
you turn it upside down and route a 1/2" depression in it the shape of
your router base, so you are actually bolting the base to 1/2" of
material. Up to you how much table you leave above the router, but you
will lose that much plunge travel. Depends on your material strength.
With Corian, I'd probably leave 1/2" or more.

Thank you for clarifying that. What I have in mind is somewhat different.
I would make the depression as you suggest, but put the bolts in the full
thickness next to the router, and hold the router in place with pieces
running between the bolts.
That way I can make the depression nearly the entire thickness of the
surface (leaving perhaps 1/8") and not have to worry about strength because
the router would be hung from the full thickness.
Does this make sense. I kinda got the idea from a router table I saw that
uses clamps to support the router.