Lobster

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

wrote: There is.

Common the neutrals using a connector block, and maybe the earths
as well, but take a 'tail' from that to earth to the switch metal,
and use L1 and common for the two reds (or whatever colour they are
these days)

Thanks. So one has to put a connector block in the back box? How is
this better than using junction boxes in the ceiling void, or am I
missing something?

I think just when specific circumstances dictate; eg I'm shortly going
to be fitting an outside light; the switch will be almost directly on
the other side of the wall from the light's location, and it will be
under the stairs which will make it a sod to get cables to. Using
junction boxes above the ceiling I'd need to run two cables (would be
about 4-5m long); one running to the switch, the other to the light
fitting. Far easier to have a single cable running down to the switch,
and then another short one through the wall to the light fitting,
handling the switching wiring using a connector block behind the light
switch.

David