Lobster

antgel wrote:
Hi all,

I need to reroute a cable that is currently under my (awful) chipboard
floor. Is the best way of doing this to attempt to lift the chipboard
slabs or to cut them where the cable is and then replace? And if
cutting is best, what's the tool of choice?

Antony

Look for the thread with subject "Downlight Installation Access" here
earlier this week, which covered this.

They probably won't lift easily; they are usually tongued-and-grooved at
the edges and interlocked together (not to mention going under skirting
boards, partition walls etc).

A circular saw with the depth set to exactly the depth of the chipboard
is one way; but watch out for nails/screws and any pipes/cables in
notches in the joists. If you cut directly above and along the joists,
there will be something for the two cut chipboard edges to bear on when
you replace the chipboard panel later, but that's more risky in terms of
hitting obstructions.

David