Bob G.

On 2 May 2005 17:06:34 -0700, wrote:

Ed Hayes wrote:
We are going to install a small pond in our backyard.
It will be one of those bio-eco systems that do not require massive
filters and chemicals.
Town code states it can't be over (I think) 18 inches without a fence
around the properity or pond.
We don't want the fence so we want to keep it to a max depth of 18
inches.
These bio-eco systems require fish and I am not sure 18 inches is

deep
enough to protect them in our cold winters here on Long Island.
Any ideas or thoughts?

=====================
I have two garden sized "fish" ponds.... 3000 & 5000 gallons each
approximately... both are no deeper then 20-22 inches at their
deepest points...

The fish are gold fish...& sumpunkins (sp) BUT I do put in a floating
heater in each pond during the winter to keep the ponds from freesing
over solid... it works just fine... I do not cover the ponds in
the winter and only have to clean the bottom ever 4-5 years mostly to
trim back the plants ... I live in Western Maryland not the far North
but cold enough...

I also made my own Biological filter out of a 100 gallon rubbermade
stock feeder a short piece of 4 inch PVC and some gravel put into the
tank in 2 4-5 inch thick layers .... Cost about 100 or so bucks a lot
cheaper then the units sold by pond places like the Lily Pons which is
only 4-5 miles from my home...

Larger pond probaballuy now has 2-300 fish in in mostly 4-5 inches in
size... smaller pond has maybe 100 ...they do multiple like crazy but
all seem to become floaters (dead) when they get about 6-7 inches in
lengfht...

Chemicals? what chemicals...Oh I may use an occasional algicide if
I get the dreaded string alge build up but to be honest I do not use
any chemicals... just snails, plants, and fish... oh and a LOT of
frogs which somehow come out of the trees I guess...

My Ponds are both close to 20 years old .. very relaxing to sit down
next to in the evening while drinking a bloddy mary and watch the
fish... require maybe a couple of hours a year total playing with the
filters or aomething like that...The plants are my wives thing...I
know nothing about them...

BTW: The ponds were both put in to avoid haveing to cut the grass
in two areas where mowing was a pain....

Bob