Stormin Mormon

You rant as much as you wish. YOu're one of few folks who really makes
sense.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jimbo" wrote in message
FWIW
As an ex printing equipment mechanic who prides himself in being able to fix
most things I hate buying service contracts. However that being said I'm
have been finding myself buying more of them than I like to admit. The
reason is that most new appliances just are not made as good as they used to
be. CBC radio in Ontario has a monthly appliance repair question and answer
call in show and the technician is a real straight shooter who tell most
people to repair their older appliances because the replacements available
are usually junk no matter how much you spend.

As far as furnace contracts are concerned there is another glitch that makes
them a necessity and a rip off at the same time. Furnaces don't break down
in the summer they usually pack it in on the coldest day of the year and
service companies only look after their contract customers and non contract
break downs don't stand a chance of getting done till the rush is over.
Even contract customers can legal be forced to wait up to 48 hours as per
the condition of their contract. I have a business permit and all my tax
numbers and I can't purchase parts from my local heating and plumbing store
because I'm not A licenced heating contractor. When my mothers furnace
broke down just after the warantee ran out it cost me just under $250.00 to
replace the igniter unit and that took less than 15 minutes. Part was
$60.00 and labour etc. made up the balance of the bill. Vent fan blew a
couple of months later and they wanted $600.00 plus labour to replace it
luckily a friend of my son is now a licenced gas fitter and he got the part
for under $200.00 and installed it N/C. Since all this happened I purchased
contracts on my boiler and my mothers furnace and in the last 7 years we
have had 6 igniters and one circulating pump replace and the total of all
those calls comes to $2500.00. Cost of the 2 contracts less than $1400.00.

I don't like being screwed any more than anyone else but these *******s seem
to have us all by the short hairs but in my case I seem to be ahead of the
game as far as furnace contracts go. My sons friend says the new furnaces,
water heaters etc. are real junk and if he wasn't in the business he would
certainly purcase a contract

Sorry for the rant

Jimbo