Ed Hayes wrote:
We are going to install a small pond in our backyard.
It will be one of those bio-eco systems that do not require massive
filters and chemicals.
Town code states it can't be over (I think) 18 inches without a fence
around the properity or pond.
We don't want the fence so we want to keep it to a max depth of 18
inches.
These bio-eco systems require fish and I am not sure 18 inches is

deep
enough to protect them in our cold winters here on Long Island.
Any ideas or thoughts?

i have a small pond. though most of the pond is 18 or so inches i have
another area about 1 1/2 ft x 1 1/2 feet square that's around 3 feet in
depth. this, i assume is where the fish go in the freeze. i'm farther
north then you and i know of ponds that are only 18" and these folks
take their fish in in the winter and toss them in a small bucket in the
cold basement - not much heat / no food. i drop all my pond plants to
the bottom in the fall. some i cut back and some i don't. decaying
plants never hurt the fish. i never use a heater. i covered my pond
with a tarp and then as the leaves fell from the trees i raked them
onto the tarp as a further covering. i never uncover my pond at all in
the winter. in early april i uncover, tied up the plants and all set
for another year. no dead fish - some of the gold fish are 3 years old
- as old as the pond. don't feed the fish until the water is
consistently above 50 degrees as the fish can't digest it properly. i
never use chemicals and only have a small pump / filter combo that runs
up then down creating a small waterfall - it must be the perfect
bio-eco cause i never have to pack around with it at all.
my rule of thumb is that the more you pack around with it the more
problems you are faced with. good luck