Rob Jones

Divide and Conquer!

Disconnect (completely) the 'disconnect box' from the box with the 50A
GFCI breaker, then see what happens when you close the 50A GFCI
breaker. That'll at least tell you where your trouble is...

rob

On 2 May 2005 15:54:19 -0700, wrote:

I recently ran a new line for my soon-to-be-delivered hot tub, and
before they hook it up, I wanted to see if someone had an opinion what
I'm seeing right now.

I have a fairly old house, and the main breaker panel was full, so we
installed a "Spa Kit", which was basically a seperate box with a 50-amp
dual pole GFI breaker already included. This runs to a 60-amp
disconnect outside, about 10 feet from the tub, and then there is about
20-feet or so of remaining wire for the install.

Everything seems fine right now, until I throw the disconnect on, at
which point it arcs at the main GFI in the house and trips the breaker
and disconnect hard.

The hook-up seems pretty straight-forward, and I'm not sure what could
be causing this. The bare end for the tub has been splayed apart a bit
to make sure that the ends aren't touching. Is this happening because
I'm not "terminating" the grounding wire at the tub yet??