William W. Plummer

m Ransley wrote:

Where do you live, what Zone, what are temp lows. Is bill for1 month.
Has boiler been cleaned and flame adjusted.

6" insulation is apx R 21. The N.East probably has a attic code of R35
and optimal of R 60. A blower door test and IR photo would help as a
start. But your attic sounds way low.

I live 30 miles northeast of Boston. Can you direct me to a web site
that has the insulation requirements? I always wonder what the point of
dimishing returns is.

What do you think the IR photo ($150) will show? I assume the windows
and doors will light up, and the roof, but that's what you expect.

I have a ho****er boiler for the heating system. Does that have a
"blower door" to be tested? I think what I should do is ask heating
contractors, "What tests do you do when you evaluate a heating system?"
Most of them say, "Efficiency." But they can't explain what
factors influence it and end up recommending a replacement. The guy I
use now doesn't do that and says that it wouldn't help much! Who do I
believe?