Brett Miller

Harry,

Thanks for taking the time to help me with the problem I'm
having.
The pressure was measured by the county, at a faucet ( unless
they really do have keys to everyones house ). The pressue was
40 psi at the house. 100 psi at the curb. The Water Man or
water person, said likely cause was a failed or maladjusted valve
(I paraphrased that.)
The 40psi doesn't give a needle shower. Granted, I may feel
different after I put on a new head.

But, I am really trying to gather some knowledge on the subject,
not ask for help then try to aruge everyone down.

I figured I'd try to measure the pressure by seeing how long it
would take to fill a 5 gallon bucket. I actually filled the
bucket and timed it before I realized how stupid that was.
Maybe with a Flow Table and pipe size reference I could figure
out the pressure, but not with just a stop watch and bucket.
I think there is some kind of electricty anology here too.

Anyway, I'll try to adjust what I think is the valve as someone
suggested. I'm sure I'll break it and wind up having to buy a
new one. But it'd be wrong to buy a new one to start with.

When I rebuilt my car engine, I spent more on repairing what I
broke then on anything else..

thanks

On 2 May 2005 06:45:43 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

Brett Miller wrote:
I realize I am not very knowledgeable in this area, that is why I am
asking for help.
Perhaps you are use to 40 psi, but I am not. The shower is very
pathetic, the water from the sink hardly flows and takes forever to
fill the sink. The sprayer from the sink just dribbles. The hose
pressure is too low to clean anything.

Maybe 40 psi is good for you. Maybe it saves you a lot of money by
reducing the amount of water you use.

However, I am very conscious of the amount of water I use. I pay for
it. I would like it at a higher pressure. My last house had great
pressure. The neighbors have great pressure.

I would like to fix the problem.

BM

On 1 May 2005 06:39:42 -0700, wrote:

And what's the problem? 40PSI at the house sounds like it's about
where it should be.

If the flow is indeed as you say, you do not have a pressure problem.
You have a blockage/flow restriction somewhere. Possible causes from
most common to least.

1. Blocked filter
2. Corroded pipes.
3. Partially closed valve.

I suggest you get a pressure gauge and measure the pressure at a faucet
to see what it is. They don't cost a lot and you can get them that you
just plug against the faucet and hold there. Keep in mind that there
can be a great difference between static and dynamic pressure. Even a
trickle through a blocked pipe will eventually raise system pressure as
long as there is no flow. As soon as flow starts, the pressure goes
down.

As to pressure. 40 psi will give a needle shower, 20 psi won't.

Harry K