Phisherman

That's exactly what I do. I have a spring-fed 7,000 gallon pond,
about 3 feet deep, and put in 2 dozen feeder goldfish. Some live
through the summer, some eaten by heron or snakes, some grow to 6" or
so, then spawn in the spring. A pond actually decreases the mosquito
population and the larvae are very nutritious fish food. I now have
thousands of baby fish but I still add new fish to maintain a good
gene pool (sic).

On Mon, 02 May 2005 19:49:43 GMT, "calhoun"
wrote:

I am not a fish conosure (sp) but I like fish in my pond. I just buy a dozen
or so feeder fish (fish raised to be fed to larger fish) from the local fish
store for a couple of bucks and throw them in the pond. Most survive the
summer. Fun to look at. No big deal to replace every year.

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Ed Hayes" wrote in message

We are going to install a small pond in our backyard.
It will be one of those bio-eco systems that do not require massive
filters and chemicals.
Town code states it can't be over (I think) 18 inches without a fence
around the properity or pond.
We don't want the fence so we want to keep it to a max depth of 18
inches.
These bio-eco systems require fish and I am not sure 18 inches is deep
enough to protect them in our cold winters here on Long Island.
Any ideas or thoughts?

18" isn't really deep enough for Koi. Goldfish will be fine as long as
the
normal freeze depth for your area isn't over 5-6" BUT you will still have
open the pond once a week or the trapped gases from decomposing vegetation
will kill the fish.

You can buy a floating heater that is safe for plastic ponds. It is
actually called a livestock water trough heater. It pulls about 1200
watts
on a continuous load once the water temp drops below 32 degrees. It might
be cheaper to buy new fish each spring. This thing is about 6" around an
will maintain an opening of about 18".

Contrary to what another poster said, you should not run your pump once
the
water starts to freeze as that messes with the thermal layers and can
lower
the overall water temp.

The advice to check with local pond supply or landscape services companies
is an excellent one as they will know far more about your area than any of
us do.

Would be happy to exchange public or private postings about your pond.
Getting the correct balance in the eco-system can be a challenge. There
is
not one way only to do it. It is a combination of the ingredients.

Colbyt