SteveB

No it doesnt seem "fair", in fact no "handyman" should be getting that
rate
but if you didnt specify in advance, he can ask for anything.

Whether you pay it is up to you if theres no pre agreed price or contract,
written or oral.

In my state, Nevada, the mere offer of doing a specific job for a specific
price constitutes contracting, and is subject to all the laws EVEN IF THE
JOB IS NEVER STARTED.

Actually, I'd strongly advise you to always pay the bill first.
This is likely a home improvement and as such the handyman is entitled
to place a mechanics lien on your property and cloud the title and
posssible even sell your property at a non-judicial foreclosure on the
court house steps.

That would be an easy thing to handle. In the first place, they probably
won't do that unless they are licensed and reputable and 100% in the right.
In order for someone to sell your property, notice must be given, affadavits
of mailings, all sorts of things. It is not as easy as you intone.

So pay the bill and then complain bitterely to him and the powers
that be such as the BBB, Attorney General, etc.

An inflated baloon has more force than the BBB. Now, the AG, or
Contractor's Board is a different thing.

Would you walk into a store and buy something if you had no idea what the
price was ? I dont think so.

I do it all the time. And when price comes up, I still have the option to
take it or refuse it.

STeve