"This leads me to believe that the insulation done was done from new or

almost new. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to block the
vents! However, you can speculate that if after 20 years of being this
way
there is /really/ no issue, not sure I wanna rush and change thigns now
-
considering the work involved. If there was notable condensation in
winter
the insulation and roof members would show it - and they don't. I'm
sure
there is /some/ issue with heat buildup in the summer - which i'm sure
adds
to /some/ deterioration of shingle life....

But considering the job of evacuating the insulation from the soffit
gaps
(really, you HAVE to see this nightmare) i'm pretty sure i'll accept 5
years
less shingle life in exchange "

Well what is it then that you're trying to do? Installing ridge vents
or anything else isn't going to do much if you have no lower entry
point for cool air to enter. Air that enters from gables will just go
out the nearest ridge opening or other top vent and not do much to cool
the whole attic. The basic flow that cools the whole attic and keeps
moisture under control is cool air entry from below, exiting somewhere
at the top.

It's not unusual for soffit vents to be covered with insulation. If
you don't want to open them up with baffles and are willing to live
with 5 yrs less shingle life, plus possible sheathing deterioration,
then just leave it like it is.