David Radlin

Default Furnace Maintenance Contract - Consensus

A guy from the gas company was at my home last week for a routine inspection
and while he was here he tried to upsell me on a maintenance contract for my
furnace to the tune of $10 (CAD) per month.

Mine is a high efficiency furnace of about 12 years of age. It has cost me
nothing but replacement filter costs during this time. He sited a couple
items that were due or likely to fail (exhaust blower, circuit boards,
sensors), that if I were on the contract would be covered for materials and
labour to repair. His pitch basically was that if only the exhaust blower
needed replacement at an approximate cost of $900 (CAD), the contract would
be justified for years to come.

So, I solicit your opinions. What sorts of repair costs would be commonly
associated in maintaining a furnace in the 10 to 20 year range of its life.
Is such a contract a cash cow for the gas company, or something of
reasonable value to the consumer?

Dave