JimL

On Mon, 02 May 2005 08:32:22 GMT, "Rudy"
wrote:

We hired a handyman to help my husband install a new screen door. He was
here 2 and a half hours and charged $150. Does that seem fair to you?

What did you agree to pay before the job was done ? That works out to $
60/hr.

No it doesnt seem "fair", in fact no "handyman" should be getting that rate
but if you didnt specify in advance, he can ask for anything.
Whether you pay it is up to you if theres no pre agreed price or contract,
written or oral.

Actually, I'd strongly advise you to always pay the bill first.
This is likely a home improvement and as such the handyman is entitled
to place a mechanics lien on your property and cloud the title and
posssible even sell your property at a non-judicial foreclosure on the
court house steps.

So pay the bill and then complain bitterely to him and the powers
that be such as the BBB, Attorney General, etc.

Would you walk into a store and buy something if you had no idea what the
price was ? I dont think so.