lionslair at consolidated dot net

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"David" wrote in message
news:HQefe.1271228$8l.910753@pd7tw1no...

It seems that heat and the moisture in a barbeque
turns stainless steel to junk.
Last year I paid nearly $40.00 for one of those flavour grids, made out of
SS,
that replace the ceramic coals on a grill.
Today I found a rusty , flaking piece of what looked like mild steel.
What gives.??

--
~d

I have no scientific explanation for it, but it's perfectly normal. I'd
venture a guess that the stainless, having been heated above a red heat for
lengthy periods of time, is oxidized such that the protective value of the
stainless alloys is lost. What we need is a chemist or metallurgist to
explain the reaction for us.

Harold

Why -

We all know stainless rusts. Some like 316 doesn't because of the special alloy.
Some are rust resistant, not rust proof.

Even cooking pan stainless has problems with some acids - Tomato for example.

Some are lab grade safe, some are air safe, some are water safe, some are salt water safe.

I have SS rusting in the shop, several kinds, and two kinds that are not.

Consider the Barbie - Very hot - Chemical reactions are elevated under heat.

Consider the hood of the Barbie traps moisture that gets in when it rains. Chemistry
starts.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn