lionslair at consolidated dot net

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Offbreed" wrote in message

Todd Rich wrote:

Average hurricane 5000 megatons PER DAY!!!

Sorry to jump in, I thought the hurricane statisic was a good one to

add.

An excellent one. Two days equals all the nukes in the world.

Actually, not, except in terms of total heat produced. The energy in a
hurricane is so dispersed in both time and space that there is little
comparison with the consequences of a nuclear explosion.

The 5000 megaton-per-day figure seems to have acquired a pass-along status;
it's interesting that hurricane experts at the University of California say
that the total accumulated energy acquired by a typical Atlantic hurricane
is 1/5 of that amount, and that its energy is released over the entire path
of the hurricane, over the course of days.

Regardless, the key point is to be careful about getting worked up over
these comparisons. If you dispersed the energy of a bomb over tens of
thousands of square miles, and stretched the time domain from milliseconds
to days, you'd have something useful to think about. If not, not.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed -
I think that is the mis-concept for you. Time domain isn't it. Energy is.
Take both and divide them along the way.

I don't think people really understand the energy in 5000 Megatons - I believe
bad science generated it.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn