J. Clarke

Lee DeRaud wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:15:00 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Lee DeRaud wrote:

It depends somewhat on which tail is wagging which dog. The problem
with trying to combine computer desk functionality with a style of
furniture from a radically different era is that both function *and*
style get rather badly compromised as a result.

I think that the problem is not so much style as it is trying to turn
something that wasn't designed to hold a computer into a computer table.
The right way to do it would be to say "Now what would Louis XIV's
computer
table have looked like if Louis XVI had had a computer?". That's a much
more difficult task though--I certainly don't have the historical
knowledge to do anything like that but it seems to me that it could be
done.

Probably route the monitor cables through the inkwell hole. :-)

Seriously, using the word "historical" to describe this thing defines
the problem: if you care about the historical period "look" of the
room, why smack it between the eyes with such a glaring anachronism?

Because one wants to sit in one's nice expensive room full of good furniture
instead of in a room full of Staples crap of a vintage contemporary with
that of the computer?

Lee

--
--John