Lane

"Ignoramus11139" wrote in message
he probably had chromed steel, not stainless. I have a stainless grill
and there is not a single trace of rust.

On Sat, 7 May 2005 20:42:51 -0700, Harold and Susan Vordos
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
It seems that heat and the moisture in a barbeque
turns stainless steel to junk.
Last year I paid nearly $40.00 for one of those flavour grids, made out
of
SS,
that replace the ceramic coals on a grill.
Today I found a rusty , flaking piece of what looked like mild steel.
What gives.??

I have no scientific explanation for it, but it's perfectly normal. I'd
venture a guess that the stainless, having been heated above a red heat
for
lengthy periods of time, is oxidized such that the protective value of
the
stainless alloys is lost. What we need is a chemist or metallurgist to
explain the reaction for us.

Harold

--

There are several different grades of stainless. Use a magnet on it. If the
magnet sticks then it will probably rust.

From: http://bbq.about.com/od/stainlessste...a042305a_2.htm
"However there is something called 430 stainless steel. 430 stainless steel,
while technically stainless steel, will stain and rust. Yes, stainless steel
can rust. This low quality stainless steel costs a lot less than 304
stainless steel so it gets used on lower quality grills either in part or
completely. 430 stainless steel will need a lot more attention and care if
it is going to maintain its appearance. 430 stainless steel, unlike 304 is
magnetic, meaning you can stick a magnet to it so take a magnet and touch it
to every part of your grill to see if you have 430 stainless steel. If you
do you are going to need to keep these parts very clean and very dry. While
this metal is basically uncoated steel that is very prone to corrosion you
can keep it looking relatively good for several years if you take good care
of it."

Lane