Harold and Susan Vordos

"David" wrote in message
news:HQefe.1271228$8l.910753@pd7tw1no...
It seems that heat and the moisture in a barbeque
turns stainless steel to junk.
Last year I paid nearly $40.00 for one of those flavour grids, made out of
SS,
that replace the ceramic coals on a grill.
Today I found a rusty , flaking piece of what looked like mild steel.
What gives.??

--
~d

I have no scientific explanation for it, but it's perfectly normal. I'd
venture a guess that the stainless, having been heated above a red heat for
lengthy periods of time, is oxidized such that the protective value of the
stainless alloys is lost. What we need is a chemist or metallurgist to
explain the reaction for us.

Harold