William W. Plummer

Default Analyzing home heat loss?

Can someone advise me on how to find out where the heat is leaking out
of my home? My heat bills are almost twice what some neighbors claim.
$1800 for a 1500 sq ft, ranch house. There is 6"+ of insulation on
the ceiling and say 3" (whatever was standard in 1970)in the walls.
Several years ago, I reduced the heat loss a little bit by replacing the
leaky in-the-slab radiant heating system with perimeter baseboard radiators.

All of the windows have been replaced. I shotgunned the whole place
with vinyl, low-E units and have since replaced most of those with
Andersen units.

An interesting observation is that the heat use (cu feet of gas) didn't
increase during the recent Winter when I has home all day. New England
was fairly cold and I had the thermostat up to "normal" everyday. That
says to me that the loss is in the boiler, running a lot and being
inefficient.

Now, if I talk to my plumber, he says that boilers don't lose efficiency
with age. He'll happily put a new one in for $3K, but doesn't think it
will result in much less heat loss.

Siding contractors promise much improvement but won't put a number on
it. That's about $6K.

The gas company will do an infrared scan for $150 but I'll have to wait
'til Winter. And, the scan will show what we expect -- heat loss
everywhere.

So, is there some kind of professional, maybe an architect or
professional engineer, that can analyze the situation?