EL

Jim,
Hey, thanks for the info! I'll check that out.

I must admit I had high hopes when we first bought this house - I'd heard stories about how much hot water you can get from
an oil-fired heater. But doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble. And man, they're expensive to replace!

Eric Law

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message ...
EL wrote:
I think the problem is they are *stuck* hardened calcium deposits.

The drain valve works fine - I can get great flow out of it, but the deposits stay in the tank! I have actually removed
the valve and it looks like there's only maybe 1/8" of deposits.

The heater is oil-fired (not off the house furnace, it has it's own burner) and makes "boiling" sounds when the burner is
running. I think it's the "boiling" that breaks the deposits loose. I've tried running water out the drain while the
burner's running but still get very little out.

I think the deposits are intelligent and malicious and *know* which way to exit the tank to cause the most trouble ;^)

Eric

Yes, an oil-fired unit can be very hard to cope with.
I think you're right on all counts.
If you ever have to replace it, a monthly blow-down
may keep it clean.

As for filtering the Hot outlet, the best device
I can think of is a "WYE strainer".
Like:

http://www.backflowparts.com/catalog...6&pageNumber=3

Watts makes them too and Cash-Acme (bought out/merged?)
A plumbing supply house will have them
and shouldn't be a big project to install.
You might put a ball valve upstream and down
to isolate the strainer for cleaning.

Jim