Stuart Noble

wrote in message
oups.com...
Carolyn wrote:

I had a surveyor round the house as part of my Remortgage process. He

used his sensor on
all the downstairs internal walls and said that it showed him damp

readings in the front
lounge, dining room, and on the hallway walls. I`m on an end terrace,

so the hallway is
exposed, ie not joined to another house.. The lounge wall divides the

lounge at the front
of the house from the dining room in the centre of the house, with an

access door between
the two rooms. (Just for useless info, really) .

What I want to know is; how foolproof are these readings?

theyre not. They use them because of the outcome of a court case, not
because theyre diagnostic. Quite simply they detect damp, condensation,
conductive building matrials etc. Oh, and are designed to measure
moisture in wood, not other materials.

I have a Protimeter in a drawer somewhere, and they don't measure moisture
in wood very well either. Timber merchants use a version which allows you
hammer the prongs an inch or so into the wood where you might just get an
accurate reading.
Putting them on your skin usually registers obscene amounts of moisture

It has removed 4413 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!