Lee DeRaud

On 7 May 2005 09:53:14 -0700, wrote:

But - if you had Louis XIV furniture in a room, where you also wanted a
computer, would you want to put it on something from Office Max?

No, I'd see if one of those Louis XIV tables had a drawer big enough
to hold a laptop when it wasn't in use. Bottom line, if I wanted that
look of furniture, I wouldn't keep a computer in view in the same room
24/7.

maybe I'm better off not knowing who David Marks is, and I'd never make
a bookmatched door shop cabinet. Obviously, with furniture in living
quarters you care about style. Or do you feel that the furniture style
is dictated by the computer no matter where it is placed?

It depends somewhat on which tail is wagging which dog. The problem
with trying to combine computer desk functionality with a style of
furniture from a radically different era is that both function *and*
style get rather badly compromised as a result. If the computer is
only used a couple hours a week to pay bills etc, maybe you can afford
to skew that compromise toward the style side. I make my living with
one (well, several), so yeah, I'm going to skew the other direction.
But I try to avoid that problem by not keeping my "tools" in rooms
where (an incompatible) style is important to me.

Lee