Lee DeRaud

On 7 May 2005 06:22:33 -0700, wrote:

Thanks for the compliment. It's an interesting project.

As a woodworking project, it looks like you did some nice work.

Design-wise:
1. Looks like either (a) the monitor will be way too close if the
keyboard is at a comfortable distance or (b) the keyboard will be too
far away if the monitor is at a comfortable distance.
2. I'm getting bruises on my ankles just looking at that lower shelf.
(See 1(a) above.)
3. It's way too pretty a piece of furniture to have all those cables
hanging off of it and that doorstop of a CPU sitting next to it.

Say a
woodworking teacher was having a class on style, assigning students to
build something a la Duncan Phyfe or Art Deco or Shaker. When
designating the type of furniture to be designed, the teacher would
say, "and I want it to be a computer table."

I'd be looking for a new teacher. That makes just about as much sense
as asking for a "Louis XIV miter saw station". Conjures up flashbacks
of David Marks' cherry-with-book-matched-koa-doors shop cabinet, but
at least the design of that was (mostly) functional.

Guess I've seen way too many "furniture-styled" computer desks where
the design was grossly compromised to fit the intended function...and
the function didn't work worth a damn either.

Lee