Dave Liquorice

Default diy laser steering track adjustment

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:24:39 +0100, James Hart wrote:

My mechanic certainly uses the front-to-back method as it was
the way he was trained and he also swaps the wheels left and right
(the wheels are swapped diagonally in effect)

Still using old technology bi-directional tyres then? The newer
"rotational" ones do offer noticeably better performance.

The basis of the 'back' argument is that you don't want the back end
getting loose in emergency situations.

On my cars (all FWD) I have never known the back end do anything but
religiously follow the front even when the front isn't going in the
most desireable direction. B-) The handbrake can just about make the
back end slide out but that its hardly normal driving...

The 'front' argument revolves around the front wheels do most of the
braking, all of the steering and all of the traction (FWD only of
course) so they benefit from the better grip.

That would be my thoughts, on RWD drive car the dynamics are different
as you are pushing the car rather than pulling it so there could be
case for decent grip on the back but TBH I'd rather be able to steer
and/or brake effectively.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail