carl mciver

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
| I have a client who is trying to figure out how to fix a large mirror
| display for a trade show booth.
|
| There is a 4' x 8' plate glass mirror bonded to an aluminum sheet using
| VHB tape.
| The frame got hit by a forklift and the glass is now being flexed out
| 1/4" in the middle.
| Not good.
|
| I figured out how to fix the frame, but it would require removing the
| mirror.
| Any ideas?

3M has a PDF document on removal. Did a search for "3M VHB tape" and
got it directly from 3M's site. It's all mechanical systems to air hammer a
skinny chisel in between the parts and a buffing wheel to remove the
residue, though.

I recall having to disassemble things like this before, and it was a
royal pain. Started with a bunch (a bunch!) of thin wedges and a heat gun.
Starting at one corner and working your way carefully to minimize preload on
the glass, slip the wedges in as the adhesive warms up and softens. You
might be able to take advantage of the preload already in the glass, but
there'll be a point where it pops and the glass could break. Maybe putting
shot bags on the glass would help. The tape won't be all over the place,
just applied in strips, so trying to keep the wedges where the adhesive
isn't will keep them from gumming up with adhesive.