Randy Zimmerman

Default Uses and value of Miller Big D4 diesel WELDER

Big fortys are for heavy repair. You need that kind of power if you are
going to replace cutting edges on earth moving equipment and have to gouge
as well as lay in large beads.
A diesel unit like this is very expensive. I am not sure what they run
today. Ten years ago they had tag prices well over ten tousand new. I
would get a set of jumper cables and try cranking the engine over
with the starter.
If the thing will not fire it could be a very expensive repair. Because
of the high power rating it is rare for the generator to burn out.
Randy

"Ignoramus29781" wrote in message
For my consideration is a Miller Big D4 400 amp (I think; some sources
claim 350 amp) diesel powered welder. It is powered by a Perkins 4
cylinder diesel, with 1490 hours on it. Seems to be in okay basic
shape, although it is lacking side panels. The trailer is lunette
type. I cannot try to run it and there is no obvious place to try
turning the rotor. I wonder if this welder is worth anything.