Dennis Peterson

Dominic Palazzola wrote:
hi, im looking for a source for lead screws in the surplus market or maybe
making my own with some help from a machinist. I have designed a drum sander
that im planning on building and im stuck at one point. this is what im
trying to do I have a 4 x 24" drum on a 3/4 or 1" shaft that I want to move
up and down about 4".

my first thought was to use a couple 1" threaded rods in flange bearings but
where im stuck is connecting the pillow blocks to the rods, my thinking
tells me to have some one make me a couple 1" x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 steel blocks
that are threaded for the rod to move thru. then I can mount the pillow
blocks on the 1" side but now I need a way to guide the blocks up and down
so they wont spin. maybe c channel of some sort that the blocks can ride in
on the outboard sides. any thoughts on this would be helpful.
thanks
Dominic

Thise folks have a lot of lead screw material:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

dp