Roy Smith

In article ,
"Del Cecchi" wrote:

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Andy, I'm trying to understand how 60 hertz and the number of poles
maps to RPM.
I'm not too bright when it comes to motors so please indulge me an
ignorant question.

I'm visualizing an amature and 4 windings in the stator. Now 60 hz
going in seems to mean that the strongest e-field (or B-filed) woudl
change at 4 tiems that rate. This would give 240 RMP. So I must be
missing something...what? Please avoid the tempatation to say "A
brain."

for openers you missed the difference between HERTZ or cycles per SECOND and
Revolutions Per MINUTE. So you are only off by a factor of 60 for openers.
But that only applies to synchronous motors.

del cecchi

It applies to induction motors too. There's a slip frequency, but the
seconds/minutes mixup is still valid.