Grant Erwin

Alex wrote:

I have a Drill Press vise from Home Depot.
It's an absolute piece of junk so I am looking for a new better quality
vise.
I found a Grizzly vise that looks much better than mine for just $17
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=H0964&

Is it a reasonably good vise or another piece of junk?

I've looked at a bunch of Grizzly stuff over the years. They all have
one thing in common, they have outstanding paint jobs. Their photos
are also high quality. Notice there are *no* specs about parallelism
of ways, squareness of fixed jaw, *nothing*. It's a really cheap import
POS. Like all such, every tolerance is on a large bell curve. If you
happen to get one with a collection of relatively tight tolerances (by
random chance) you could mistakenly think that the whole line is high
quality.

However, we're talking about a drill press vise. What exactly is wrong
with the one from Homo Depo? These go on cheap drill presses with spindles
which probably run out 1/32". The quality is entirely consistent.

One thing I would suggest is to *fix* the vise you have. You would learn
really a lot and how much is that worth to you?

GWE