jay

Default No drip cap above casement windows on side of building, is this normal?

As discussed before, a few casement windows on the side of my condo
experienced some leakage during heavy wind-driven rainy conditions. The
v-shaped weather-stripping on top of the sash was worn and flattened, and
I'm dealing with this aspect of the issue.

I think that new weather-stripping may be working for now to stop leakage,
but something else has me concerned. I had someone take a look at my
windows who pointed out to me that my windows do not have any drip caps
installed above them. There is a metal flange around the perimeter of the
window, including the top. The metal flange is flat, and protrudes outward
a little bit, but I'm told that there really should be some type of slanted
drip cap to divert water from running down the siding directly onto the gap
where the window shuts. My building's siding is vertically oriented, and
water really POURS down the side of my building under certain heavy
wind-driven rainy conditions.

My Association is giving me resistance, and saying that they would hate to
install drip caps only to find out that the windows are the real problem.
My opinion is that a drip cap should be present as a first line of defense.
I think it is unrealistic for the Association to be expecting casement-style
windows on the side of a building to be 100% water-tight when there aren't
any drip caps.

Is expecting the casement windows on the side of a building to be 100%
watertight a reasonable expectation without any drip caps? Is just the
metal flange considered to be sufficient?

Thanks,