Mike Shapp

Default Sump Pump question

The house has two sump pumps in opposing corners of the basement and they
work just fine when we get water in the drains. In a third corner, at eye
level, is a 4x4 electrical box with a cover that has "Barnes Pumps" printed
on it. It has a siren and a momentary contact rocker switch with a light on
it. Above the rocker switch it says: Press the switch to silence the alarm
or test the sump alarm.

Coming out the top of the box are four wires (red, white, red, and green;
about 14 gauge) that go through the wall to the outside and into a conduit
that goes into the ground. The side of the box has two 14/2 gauge Romex
cables going in (or out).

If I press the rocker switch, nothing seems to happen. Can anyone tell me
what the siren and switch are for?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Shapp