Tom

Dominic Palazzola wrote:

hi, im looking for a source for lead screws in the surplus market or maybe
making my own with some help from a machinist. I have designed a drum sander
that im planning on building and im stuck at one point. this is what im
trying to do I have a 4 x 24" drum on a 3/4 or 1" shaft that I want to move
up and down about 4".

my first thought was to use a couple 1" threaded rods in flange bearings but
where im stuck is connecting the pillow blocks to the rods, my thinking
tells me to have some one make me a couple 1" x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 steel blocks
that are threaded for the rod to move thru. then I can mount the pillow
blocks on the 1" side but now I need a way to guide the blocks up and down
so they wont spin. maybe c channel of some sort that the blocks can ride in
on the outboard sides. any thoughts on this would be helpful.
thanks
Dominic

Look up "take up" bearing housings, made primarily for conveyors
but would do your job.

Tom