Doug Miller

In article , KTwo wrote:

I had thought about compact flourescent (CF), but for another reason. I
was thinking that since CF don't have a filament that there's nothing
to burn out.

Doesn't mean they last forever, though. :-) But they *do* have a much longer
life than incandescent bulbs.

Hadn't thought about it from the heat angle.

Yep. Same light output, with a *lot* less heat - which means that they use a
lot less electricity, too, about 75% less.

I've looked and have only found one source (on the web or in a store)
for CF R16 bulbs - and they're $20/ea. Ouch.

The lifespan is going to be about five or six times as long as an incandescent
lamp. If you're paying more than $4 each for your incandescents, the CF is a
better buy *solely* on the basis of the cost of the lamps. When you figure in
the savings in electricity costs over the life of the bulb, the CF is a *huge*
money saver.

--
Regards,