KTwo

MUADIBŪ wrote:
You should be able to remove the fixture only. If it was installed
where you can't take it out by itself then it's likely installed
wrong.

Unfortunately I can't do that. The can was installed when the house was
built and it's a sheetrock ceiling. I guess I could check, but that
will be a last resort, and I'll just replace the fixture while I have
the ceiling torn apart.

Pictures would help to understand why you cannot remove just the
fixture.

I pulled the fixture part down, but not out. The fixture (the part the
light bulb screws into, right?) is wired directly to the junction box on
the can somewhere in the ceiling. The wires leave the fixture and go
out of the can to the junction box. The only thing on the wires was a
piece of small black plastic (1/4" by 1/2") clamped on the hot wire.
Couldn't see any writing on it.

I did go to Home Depot and got a 30W bulb to replace the long string of
recently defunct 50W bulbs. The can does say that it will take a 50W R20.

-K2