TKM

"KTwo" wrote in message
news
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
KTwo wrote:

I have a recessed light above my sink that is eating bulbs. About every
4th day the the R19 buld in the can burns out. I've checked the
connections in the switch box and replaced the switch - to no avail. Any
other suggestions?
Thx
-K2

SNIP

Jeff -

Overheating seems to be the general opinion. A number of the bulbs that
have burned out to date where left for a couple of days and only burned
out when one of my daughters turned the light off accidently when trying
to turn the disposal off (the switches are in the same box). I'll try a
smaller bulb. I don't think vibration is an issue. This light is above
by kitchen sink, so there is no garbage disposal on the floor above it.
The master bathroom is above it and I don't believe that is a large source
of vibration.

Thx

-K2

You can't rule it out just yet. One of the most troublesome lamp-failure
complaints that I ever got involved in (as a lighting engineer) involved
just such a situation. The problem was a dining room chandelier with
several lamps and it seemed to eat lamps. We tried dimmers, different
lamps, electrical checks, etc. Nothing changed. Lamps failed almost daily.
Then one evening we were sitting in the dining room and there was a great
thump overhead and one of the lamps failed. Turned out that the kids' room
was up there and it was the one of the kids jumping off the top level of the
bunk bed. Bulbs with long thin filaments are particularly sensitive to
what the lamp companies call "hot shock" and these poor lamps were getting a
regular dose.

Anybody clumping around in the bathroom upstairs on a regular basis?

TKM