Rusty

"matt" wrote in message
. uk...
A appreciate that this maybe slightly OT, but it is DIY and I am sure
others
here will be able to help.

I have a GPS reciever that also recieved RDS broadcasts (i.e on a standard
FM frequency)

The current GPS unit uses a single wire with a phono type plug as an
antenna.

As an alternative there is a "Y Adapter" avaliable that plugs inbetween
the
radio and aerial which gives the GPS unit the use of the main car antenna
(improving reception). See links below. The official splitter costs around
35 Euro, but I am sure that there is not much to it and a DIY solution
would
work.

Plugs and bits are avaliable from maplin, but can any recommend the best
way
to go about this?

http://www.gns-gmbh.com/en/ Quick Find: 4037735101388
http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/s.../universal/102

I'm bit confused by your antenna arrangments "..single wire with a phono
type plug as an antenna". Hand held gps units tend to use MCX connectors,
which Maplin don't do though I have got them elsewhere. So are car gps
connectors different.
I am interested as at one time I tried to connect my redundant cellphone
antenna on the car rear window to my gps but problems getting a connector
for a GSM phone (Nokia).

rusty