Dave

This is amateur land we're in so regulations - weIl was going to say
'don't apply' - what I probably mean is 'can be ignored' , and although
not 'certified', I'm a competent electrician. Also time is not
important but space is so a P/T it has to be.

A days poking around and asking has led me to looking at a 1.5kW
convertor which is available to �150+ and may be a far simpler and
speedier approach, with the advantage that the machine is sellable
without any modification.

Thanks very much for your full reply - you have covered just about
everything I needed.

Rob

Its probably an inverter rather than a convertor.
You can use an inverter if your motor can be re-jumper'ed for delta (230
3ph) rather than star (415 3ph) but the control gear will probably
object and may need to be replaced with 230V variants (an easy job).

If you search back for "3 phase" you should find some useful info.

Dave S