garycomfort wrote:

I'd like to spray with something that provides a narrow fan pattern - maybe
about 4 inches wide- without a lot of overspray bouncing off and covering
walls and floors.

This sounds like an airbrush to me. I don't know if they will work with
latex. Airbrushes will require a compressor, though not a very big one
for this project I don't think.

I'm willing to buy what I need in terms of spraying equipment, but I don't
know what I need. Can I use an airless sprayer? Can I get a narrow spray
head? Would it cause too much paint "dust" bouncing around?

Find a place that sells automotive painting equipment and talk
to them about this idea. I think it could work, but they may
be unfamiliar with latex paints. It might help to find some
auto body painter and buy him some beers in exchange for some
advice.

How about an HVLP unit? Can it do my job with Latex paint?

I recently painted a garage with an airless sprayer, but I found
the windows were easier with a brush. Of course, I wasn't trying
for high end finish, just protection from weather.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.