Prometheus

On 5 May 2005 08:09:21 -0700, wrote:

I would like to try making some things in wood. Has anyone any
suggestions what I should do (a good book to read, where to buy tools
2nd hand ).

If you go to just about any large bookstore, they usually have a
couple of books outlining woodworking basics on the clearance rack.
While they may not be the best books about the subject on the market,
they usually include descriptions of the various types of woods,
joinery, tools and finishes, and generally have a plan or two to get
you started.

As far as tools go, get yourself the basics at first- and you may as
well just get them new. You can get all sorts of tools very cheap,
and then upgrade them as your skills and projects improve. You can
make plenty of stuff with a hand saw and sanding block if you're
patient enough.

If I like the woodworking I may then decide to try to be self employed
making wooden items and selling them. Anyone with advice on this I
would be grateful.

My advice- don't get ahead of yourself. Lots of guys that are
amazingly skilled can't make a living at it, and you're asking about
the basics. I'm not saying you won't get there, but if I were you I'd
just forget about self-employment for now and try it out as a hobby
first. If you really want to be self-employed and work with wood, try
being a carpenter- there's a lot more money in it, and you can get
right to work.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam